Payment & Shipping Terms:
|Part Number:||ASR1002||Product Type:||Aggregation Service Router|
|Form Factor:||Desktop - Modular - 3U||Connectivity Technology:||Wired|
|ESP Bandwidth:||10 To 40 Gbps||Cisco ASR 1000 Series ESP:||1 ESP Slot|
|Shared Port Adapters:||8 SPA Slots||Redundancy:||Software (license Purchase Separately)|
Cisco ASR1004 Chassis with 8 SPA slots 1 ESP slot UP to 40Gbps, Dual P/S Used Cisco Router
Overview ( Cisco ASR1004 )
Cisco is reinventing edge routing with the Cisco® ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers, a portfolio of
midrange routers that establish a new price-to-performance class offering, benefiting both service providers and
● For service providers, the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers facilitate more flexible, efficient, and
cost-effective delivery of complex consumer and business services.
● For enterprises, the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers deliver a highly reliable, high-performance WAN edge
solution where information, communication, collaboration, and commerce converge.
The Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers:
● Accelerate services by offering outstanding performance and resiliency with optimized, intelligent services
● Establish a new benchmark for price-to-performance offerings in the enterprise advanced routing, service
provider edge, and broadband aggregation segments
● Facilitate significant network architectural innovations in areas such as secure WAN aggregation, managed
customer-premises-equipment (CPE) services, and service provider edge services
● Reduce operating expenses (OpEx) and capital expenditures (CapEx) by facilitating managed or hosted
services over identical architectures and operating environments
The Cisco ASR 1000 Series consists of these different versions (Figure 1): the Cisco ASR 1001 Router, the Cisco
ASR 1002 Fixed Router, the Cisco ASR 1002 Router, the Cisco ASR 1002-X Router, the Cisco ASR 1004 Router,
the Cisco ASR 1006 Router, and the Cisco ASR 1013 Router. All models use the innovative and powerful Cisco
QuantumFlow Processor, which provides a huge leap in performance and resiliency for network processors.
The Cisco ASR 1000 Series provides a significant enhanced value compared to prior generations of Cisco midrange routing solutions by providing more than tenfold performance improvement with services running.
Additionally, the routers have hardware and software redundancy, as well as an industry-leading high-availability design.
The Cisco ASR 1000 Series delivers multiple services embedded in the Cisco QuantumFlow Processor at wire speeds from 2.5 to 200 Gbps. The services supported on the Cisco QuantumFlow Processor include security services (for example, encryption and firewall), quality of service (QoS), Network-Based Application Recognition (NBAR), Cisco IOS®
Flexible Packet Matching (FPM), broadband aggregation, and Cisco Unified Border Element (SP Edition) (formerly called Session Border Controller, or SBC), among others.
With the separation of the control and data planes in the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router architecture, software redundancy (on the Cisco ASR 1001, ASR 1002 Fixed, ASR 1002, ASR 1002-X, and ASR 1004 Routers) and hardware redundancy (on the Cisco ASR 1006 and ASR 1013 Routers) are provided. Additionally, the modular Cisco IOS XE Software that is introduced with the Cisco ASR 1000 Series facilitates In-Service Software Upgrade (ISSU).
The Cisco ASR 1001 Router also introduces the concept of integrated daughter cards (IDCs). There is one Cisco
ASR 1001 base model without an integrated daughter card and five models with integrated daughter cards offering different additional I/O connectivity or an integrated hard disk drive (HDD); their part numbers follow:
As of Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.2S:
● ASR1001: Base version without an IDC
● ASR1001-2XOC3POS: Delivered with an IDC that provides 2 OC-3 Packet-over-SONET/SDH (PoS) ports
● ASR1001-4XT3: Delivered with an IDC that provides 4 T3 ports (no E3 circuitry)
As of Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.3S:
● ASR1001-4X1GE: Delivered with an IDC that provides 4 Gigabit Ethernet (GE) ports
● ASR1001-8CHT1E1: Delivered with an IDC that provides 8 Channelized T1/E1 ports
● ASR1001-HDD: Delivered with an integrated HDD
Note: The IDCs are not field-upgradable.
Cisco Software Activation is supported for performance upgrade from 2.5 to 5 Gbps (on the Cisco ASR 1001
Router) and from 5 to 10, 20, or 36 Gbps (on the Cisco ASR 1002-X Router). From a price-to-performance
perspective, the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router solution fits well between the Cisco 7200 Series, Cisco 7300
Series, and Cisco 7600 Series; Cisco ASR 9000 Series; and Cisco Catalyst® 6000 Series Routers, thus
dramatically enhancing the Cisco midrange routing portfolio
Cisco ASR 1000 Series Enterprise Applications
|Deployment Scenario||Description||System Characteristics|
|WAN edge: Guarantee high-priority applications by creating a virtual “glass ceiling” for lower-priority applications. Improve user experiences.||
● Applies Modular QoS CLI (MQC) policies on VLANs or tunnels
● Limits an arbitrary collection of low‑priority traffic to a certain bandwidth
● Classifies based on differentiated services code point (DSCP), Network-Based Application Recognition (NBAR), and Cisco IOS Cisco IOS FPM (FPM) into numerous hierarchies, one for high priority and one for low priority
● Implements flexible hierarchies
● Supports 464,000 queues
● Allows all queues to have a minimum, maximum, and excess bandwidth with priority propagation
Multiservice, scalable, and secure headend:
IP Security (IPsec) VPN aggregation scales to meet the new bandwidth demands of service provider IP VPNs.
● Reduces capital expenditures (CapEx) and operating expenses (OpEx) by migrating and consolidating to fewer Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers
● Protects investment through easy transition to much higher encryption support, offering encryption support of up to 78 Gbps with the 200-Gbps Cisco ASR 1000 Series ESP (ASR1000-ESP200)
● Offers easier management through embedded security services in the Cisco Flow Processor, with no additional service modules or blades required
● Optimized for QoS and IP Multicast applications
● Supports thousands of sites
● Supports 8,000 IPsec tunnels
● Offers up to 78-Gbps encryption performance and up to 200-Gbps noncryptographic throughput support with the Cisco ASR 1000 Series 200-Gbps Embedded Services Processor
Embedded high-speed firewall:
With the Zone-Based Policy Firewall, the Cisco ASR 1000 Series acts as an implicit and complete barrier between any interfaces not members of the same zone. An explicit zone-pair policy must be specified (using Cisco Policy Language; that is, MQC) in each direction between each zone pair. The policy establishes within the router the kind of stateful inspection (Layer 4, Layer 7, or application) and session parameters to apply to each zone pairing.
Example: An explicit policy allowing HTTP and Domain Name System (DNS) to traverse the Internet-demilitarized zone (DMZ) zone boundary would be required.
● The firewall is embedded in the Cisco Flow Processor; no additional service blades or modules are required.
● Multiple gigabits of bandwidth are routed while at the same time the router performs Zone‑Based Policy Firewall and other baseline features such as QoS, IPv4, IPv6, NetFlow, and others.
● The Cisco ASR 1000 Series provides logging of all firewall session states off to network management applications capable of accepting relatively huge amounts of flow data. Third-party applications can handle the session data.
● Provides firewall performance of 2.5 to 200 Gbps, depending on the ESP used
● Offers high-speed logging of 40,000 sessions per second with NetFlow Version 9
|Managed CPE: This implementation of branch-office architecture offers powerful investment protection with services and scale.||
● Managed customer premises equipment (CPE) helps branch offices route correctly over various types of Ethernet to comply with service-level agreements (SLAs).
● This application encrypts multiple gigabits of bandwidth without any additional service blades or modules.
● Managed CPE optimizes the WAN to route around brownouts in the service provider network to further guarantee mission-critical applications.
● This application offers small form factors (1 rack unit [1RU] for the Cisco ASR 1001-X and ASR 1001-HX and 2RUs for the Cisco ASR 1002-HX and ASR 1002-X Routers), including software modularity and ISSU.
● Note: ISSU is not supported on Cisco ASR 1001-X, ASR 1001-HX, ASR 1002-HX, ASR 1002-X, or ASR 1004. Managed CPE offers accessibility even when the Cisco IOS Software is down.
● Offers first-in-industry software redundancy support, without any additional hardware module, on Cisco ASR 1001-X, ASR 1001-HX, ASR 1002-HX, ASR 1002-X, and ASR 1004; hardware redundancy and ISSU are supported on the Cisco ASR 1006 and ASR 1013.
● Offers powerful firewall and NAT performance of 2.5 to 200 Gbps and 1.8- to 78-Gbps encryption support in addition to WAN optimization and voice features
The Cisco ASR 1000 Series is supported in Cisco IOS XE Software, which was introduced with the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers as a modular operating system. Based on Cisco IOS Software (Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2SR for Cisco IOS XE Software Releases 2.1.0 through 2.6.0 and Cisco IOS Software Release 15S starting with Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.1.0S), Cisco IOS XE Software is designed to provide modular packaging, feature velocity, and powerful resiliency. Because of the extreme flexibility and robust performance of the Cisco ASR 1000 Series, ESPs - which are based on the Cisco QuantumFlow Processor technology, network security, deep packet inspection, Cisco IOS Firewall, and many other advanced features - are implemented in Cisco IOS XE Software without the need for additional hardware support (for example, in the form of a service blade). One of the most innovative features is that the Cisco IOS XE Software supports dual Cisco IOS Software consolidated packages in a single Cisco ASR 1000 Series Route Processor for software redundancy in the Cisco ASR 1001, ASR 1002 Fixed, ASR 1002, ASR 1002-X, and ASR 1004 Routers. This dual Cisco IOS Software consolidated package could be the same consolidated package for backup, or a different consolidated package also on a different Cisco IOS XE Software release for resilient upgrade. Information about the compatibility of supported dual consolidated packages is available in the release notes (Cisco IOS XE Software Release Notes 2: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ios_xe/2/release/notes/rnasr21.html and Cisco IOS XE Software Release Notes 3: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ios_xe/3/release/notes/asr1k_rn_3s_rel_notes.html). The (optional) hardware-redundant route processor and ESP configuration in the Cisco ASR 1006 and ASR 1013 Routers does not support Cisco IOS Software redundancy in a single route processor because each of the two route processors supports one Cisco IOS XE Software image. For ease of ordering, you can choose from six supported consolidated packages in each Cisco IOS XE Software release: ● IP Base without Crypto ● IP Base ● Advanced IP Services ● Advanced IP Services without Crypto ● Advanced Enterprise Services ● Advanced Enterprise Services without Crypto All Cisco IOS XE Software Route Processor 1 (RP1) consolidated packages are compatible across the entire Cisco ASR 1000 Series with the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Route Processor 1 (ASR1000-RP1). Similar compatibility exists for the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Route Processor 2 (ASR1000-RP2) across Cisco ASR 1004, ASR 1006, and ASR 1013 Routers and for Cisco ASR 1001 and ASR 1002-X Routers with the route processor integrated. Table 3 describes each of the Cisco IOS XE consolidated packages supported on the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Route Processor 1 (ASR1000-RP1) as an example. With the Cisco ASR 1001 Router supported as of Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.2.0S, the concept of Cisco Software Activation is introduced for the Cisco ASR 1000 Series - initially on the Cisco ASR 1001 only, now on the Cisco ASR 1002-X as well. Table 4 describes the three Cisco IOS XE universal consolidated packages supported on the Cisco ASR 1001, and Table 5 describes them on the Cisco ASR 1002-X. Table 6 lists the Cisco ASR 1001 and ASR 1002-X universal consolidated package and technology package license combinations that correspond to the equivalent software feature sets on the other Cisco ASR 1000 Series chassis.
Cisco ASR 1000 Series: Chassis Comparison and Specifications